Steve Dorst’s Blog
As soon as I met Roxanne Cai, however, I got an immediate appreciation for her commitment and true motivation.
Since Roxanne founded the California branch of The Initiative, she’s led efforts to pick up used drug needles around the Mission District. Not just once in a while. But every week for four years. At last count: about 200 trips and about 7,000 needles off the streets.
That’s not all. About once a month, the group hosts a pop-up Street Boutique. They dress up as superheroes for fun and to attract attention to their good deeds. Then they hang up all the clothes on mobile racks so people can consider options in a dignified manner.
Meanwhile, Roxanne’s story is getting some interest on Facebook, with about 1.7 million views.
Way to go Roxanne! If we all followed your inspiring lead in the community, there’d be a lot less pain and suffering.
I'm a documentary director, DP, and
filmmaker based in Washington, D.C.
I like cycling, playing piano, epic powder,
electronica, and CA--while sipping an IPA.
Thx 4 reading! What about u? What are u into?
- Live: Dorst MediaWorks 2016 Reel
- JOBS for G.I.s: Joint Service Achievement Medal
- “Super Humans Unmasked”: 1.7m Facebook views
- JOBS for G.I.s on DirecTV: My 3rd doc
- Behind The Scenes: Epic Longboard Charity Jam
- Flying the Phantom 2 Vision +
- Directing for Red Bull in Hong Kong
- St. George Slays the Injera
- Best Smoothie Recipe: “Perfect Life Hack”
- Shooting in Afghanistan